Hurricane Preparedness Tips
Are you prepared for a hurricane? If not let’s go over some tips on how you can keep your rental home safe before and during the oncoming hurricane. If you are already prepared, it’s never harmful to check again and make sure you’ve got everything you need!
Before the Hurricane
- Make sure your emergency medical kit is supplied. You’ll want things like shears, band aids, sanitizer, gloves, masks, tweezers, bandages, and antiseptic wipes.
- Clean water is always a good thing to have, get some water bottles and fill them up with clean water.
- If you have the ability, move furniture and other things you wouldn’t want to get water damage to higher areas of your rental home or apartment to keep them safe, and unplug any small appliances in case of a lightning surge!
- Be listening to the local radio for more information on the storm as it approaches your area.
- Find a local shelter and be prepared to evacuate. Don’t forget your pets in the evacuation plans.
During the Hurricane
- Turn off your power if told to do so by the local authorities, if your power goes out, use a flood light, NOT candles!
- The floodwater may be contaminated or sewage water, so be sure to stay clear of it.
- If possible, continue to keep up with your local radio for more updates on the situation.